About Scottsdale, Arizona
The City of Scottsdale, Arizona, has long been known as “The West’s Most Western Town.” A mecca of resorts, fine art and high-tech industry, Scottsdale has grown rapidly over the last 30 years to become a sophisticated and cultured city, ranking as one of the top tourist destinations inAmerica.
Not only is Scottsdale one of the top places to visit, it is one of the best places to live. The city was voted the “Most Livable City” by the U.S. Conference of Mayors in 1993, consistently named among the top 30 cities in which to raise children, the top fifty places to retire, and rated the number one resort community in America.
Scottsdale offers a wide range of cultural and community attractions, including numerous art galleries, libraries, theaters, museums, world class golf courses, and shopping centers. Add in a dynamic diversified economy, incomparable weather, and a nationally renowned school system, and it is no wonder Scottsdale is consistently voted as one of the best places to live and visit.
Scottsdale at a Glance:
- Number of visitors annually: 7.4 million in 2003
- Population: 234,900
- Density: 1,100 people/square mile
- Resident Median age: 42.1 years
- Resident Median household income: $57,484
- Size: 184.2 square miles, stretching 31 miles north to south
- Size rank: 2nd in Arizona in area; 5th in population
- Elevation: 1,260 (average) feet above sea level
- Temperature: 72.6 degrees Fahrenheit year-round average median
- Rainfall: 7.74 inches per year, average
- Official food: Chili - by mayoral proclamation
- Golf courses: Nearly 200
- Bike paths: 58 miles
- Riding & hiking trails: 40 miles of shared use paths
- Resorts and hotels: 67 with a combined total of more than 12,500 rooms
- Restaurants: More than 600
- Art galleries: More than 125
Closest Airport: Scottsdale is easily accessible via two airports, Phoenix Sky Harbor International and Scottsdale Municipal. Serviced by 21 major airlines, Sky Harbor International has more than 1,500 flights arriving and departing daily, and offers non-stop service to 114 cities worldwide. Scottsdale Municipal offers complete services for corporate jets and charters.